Business blogs are often perfunctory, boring, self-serving, utterly useless, jargon-choked word dumps. With that said, you should still be blogging – just more strategically. This post will help you whip a saggy blog into shape.
The key to turning a blog post into a GREAT blog post is to weave your storytelling into every communication you write, and craft copy that captures your brand’s voice.
To help you get there, here are a few quick ideas, insights and statistics to turn your overlooked outposts into a happening hotspot…
So first up… Why should you blog? Well, here a few reasons to inspire you into why you should be writing blogs:
- Seventy-seven percent of internet users read blogs.
- Internet users in the U.S. spend triple the amount of time on blogs than on email.
- Brands that blog receive 97 percent more links to their website.
- Eighty-six percent of B2B companies are blogging.
- Half of the top 200 Fortune 500 companies have a corporate blog.
- Brands that blog generate 55 percent more website visitors.
- Seventy percent of consumers learn about a brand through articles rather than ads.
- People read around 10 blog posts per day, but many read each post for 15 seconds or less.
- Forty-five percent of marketers say blogging is the most important component of their content strategy.
OK. So now for the important stuff – the ‘how’. Tips about how to give the extra zing to your posts that will raise your posts above the noise of the millions of others out there.
- Headlines from eight to twelve words get the most shares on Twitter.
- The ideal blog post title is 60 characters in length.
- Use H2 tags for sub-headers – not H1 tags.
- Blog posts with images get 94 percent more views than text-only articles.
- Use one image for every 350 words.
- Pay special attention to spicy headlines and alluring leads that draw people into your post.
- Provide a clear, concise call to action – something that inspires your reader to make that all important next move towards your site’s objectives or desired goals.
- Longer, more in-depth posts can boost SEO and shares, but focus on quality over word count.
- Mondays are often the best day to post, and most blogs get much more traffic in the morning.
- Always have someone edit your work – a different set of eyes will often find something that you may have missed.
- Check analytics regularly to determine which posts are resonating with your audience.
- Ask your audience for ideas about the sorts of content they’d like to read.
Reviving a blog is a slog, but it’s well worth the effort. Follow these tips and you’re sure to enjoy blogging success.
If you found these tips of use, or have more that you’d like to add to the list, then please feel free to leave them in the comments section below. We love to share great advice so if you have any more top tips, then we want to hear them.
As always, thatnk you for taking the time to read this post.